Pages

Monday 16 April 2012

Spectacular spectacles

I wear glasses for my short sightedness and for the longest time I have been searching for some vintage frames to wear as I love the 1950s cat-eye style.
eBay searches have been a bit lacking but etsy proved to bring forth a huge amount of wonderful frames of different shape and price.
I found this pair which I brought from America, but the lenses on them were very thick, I felt sorry for the previous owner as their eyesight must have been really poor!
Photo  courtesy of the etsy seller retroactivevintage

The glasses are in quite good condition apart from the plastic on the temple ends are now quite brittle which is to be expected with 60 year old plastic.
Fellow blogger and Rockabilly jewellery maker Dolly Cool recommended Ineedspex.co.uk for fitting replacement prescription lenses into vintage frames, so as soon as my frames arrived from America I shipped them off again to have my prescription put in for £15.
My frames came back at the weekend and I am thrilled with them!
They are two toned aluminium and brass colour with a etched leaf pattern.
On the inside arm is the inscription Dorothy Gotez/ Gotey not sure on the last letter, who was probably the poor near-sighted original owner.
  

It's amazing what different eye shapes frames do to your face.


I'm now on the search for some frames can get tinted lenses put in as sunglasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment