Pages

Sunday 21 July 2013

Oh, what a lovely War....and Peace Revival!

I had seen signs all over Kent advertising the War and Peace show, which was once held at the Hop farm near Maidstone but had now changed venues to Folkestone Racecourse but I didn't think about going.

On Monday I visited my Nan with my family and we took her to the sea side town of Hythe.
In the town centre, I found a shop call 'I like that' selling vintage repro clothing. In the window was a beautiful vibrant 50s style red dress with white buttons and I fell in love with it. Unfortunately the shop was closed, however also in their window was posters for the War and Peace show, saying that they would be trading there from Wednesday onwards.
On the way home we drove past the venue to be met with a army encampment! The military tents went on and on and looked massive.

My mind was made up. I had to go to this show and lucky for me it was on for five days so I could go in the week and not miss work.

With my Dad and my boyfriend with me, we went early on Wednesday. The sun was shining so I took my red parasol with me and wore my toadstool tie top by Collectif clothing and my black Alice skirt by Miss Fortune.

The event ticket price was £18.50 which I thought was a bit steep but now I think that the event was worth the price to get in. 

There was so much to see! First we headed towards the vintage area, which was set up with classic cars, replica Spitfires and little tableaux of life in war time in the 1940s.
Just the car for me!




The main arena had displays on all day including military vehicles and tanks and  choreographed battles.

There is a war on you know!

We retreated in to the Vintage marque to get a refreshing (if a little on the expensive side) drink and to watch the vintage fashion show.

Vintage vs Repro!

Love the yellow shoes from Rocket Originals


Love the plum dress by Heyday clothing

Beautiful dragon print on this original vintage dress.


Hair pins are a vintage gals best friend!

During the show there was a demonstration on how to create victory rolls and a leaflet was handed out with a lucky number on it. Who ever had their  number called out would then be whisked off to have a vintage make over and £100 to spend on vintage or repro clothing by Heyday!
My number was 2 away from the number called but the lucky lady who had won was very pleased indeed!
After the fashion show there was music by the wonderful 'Jive Aces' featuring the lovely 'Satin Dollz' from the USA. That show was worth the entry price alone! It was great entertainment.

Lot of Ukulele love!


There was so much going on in the marque that we could have spent the whole time in there but there was shopping to be done so I headed to the vintage stalls. I found the stall holder who has the shop in Hythe and the red dress that had stolen my heart. Needless to say I made a purchase!
In my new H and R of London dress!

Time was ticking on and after a bite to eat we watched more vehicle and tank displays in the main arena before setting off to see the hundreds of living history encampments on display.
Suffice to say we only saw a quarter of the groups there. I think we would have needed a further 3 more hours or more to see it all, there were that many!


I really enjoyed the show and was glad I made the decision to go. The weather was glorious, if a little too hot when trying on dresses.

More photos can be seen on my Rockabilly pagan page on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/TheRockabillyPagan










2 comments:

  1. Hi, we were there on Wednesday as well. I think we saw you looking very elegant indeed. One day is not enough to see everything, a 2 or 3 day pass is needed to see everything. I agree with the drink prices, two bottles of cider for £9.40 eek! If you decide to go to future events you can get 'early bird' prices for ordering your tickets before hand. we got ours early in July for just over £16. We also went to the Jive Aces on Friday night, that was great too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin! I will definitely be buying my tickets in advance from now on, if only to avoid the queue to get in.
      I was tempted to go and see the Jive Aces on Friday night but I already had other plans. Glad you had a good time :)

      Delete